Thursday, April 21, 2011

How To Find a Person's Military Status

To find out if someone is in the U.S. military on active duty, search online at the Defense Manpower Data Center website: Defense Manpower Data Center

This information provided FREE of charge per 50 USC Appx. §§ 501.
Not only does this website tell you the person's status, it creates a PDF of an official report that you may print out!
SSN and Last name, or Date of Birth and Last name, are required fields for a query!

Alternatively, you may contact the data center as follows:
Defense Manpower Data Center
Attn: Military Verification
1600 Wilson Blvd., Suite 400
Arlington, VA 22209-2593
Tel: (703)696-6762 or -5790
Fax: (703)696-4156

Why Would You Want To Do This?
  • If you are representing or opposing a party who states they are a member of the military, it may be prudent to check. Most people are truthful, but "stuff happens"!
  • In some legal matters, the law may require you to file an affidavit stating the military status of the parties you are representing. This is especially important if you are asserting rights, e.g. under SCRA.

Thanks for the head's-up from the Minnesota Judicial Branch:

No comments: