- Lack of proper paper trails to “service-connect” their injuries
- Ineligibility for benefits for those given less than fully honorable discharges for behaviors that were related to post traumatic stress disorder or minor disciplinary infractions
The three morning sessions provide the basics you need to represent veterans before the VA. The morning sessions fulfill the VA’s requirement for qualifying CLE within the first 12 months of your VA accreditation.
The 1:45pm session, Veterans’ Cultural Competency: Combat to Community, will help veterans’ advocates to understand the challenges that veterans face in their transition to a noncombat community.
The 2:45pm to 5:00pm sessions will provide attorneys with the tools that they need to assist veterans in upgrading their discharge status and removing stigmatizing information from their discharge documents.
IMPORTANT!! GET ACCREDITED BY THE VA BEFORE YOU ATTEND THIS TRAINING.
- Attorneys and other advocates must be accredited to practice before the VA. To obtain accreditation you must complete this form: www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/VA21a.pdf.
- Accreditation by the VA may take several weeks, so do not delay filing your application. You can speed up the process by emailing the form to OGCAccreditationMailbox@va.gov, and including a copy of your State Bar Certificate of Good Standing
- Within 12 months of accreditation you are required to complete three hours of qualifying CLE. The morning session of this program satisfies that requirement, but only if you have already received your accreditation from the VA.
Advocating for Veterans: The Basics on VA Benefits, Discharge Upgrades and Veteran Cultural Competency 2013
November 1, 2013
9:00 AM Pacific
San Francisco, CA
- Theresa Mesa ~ Program Developer, Office of Legal Services, The State Bar of California
- Teresa Panepinto ~ Legal Director, Swords to Plowshares
- Bradford Adams ~ Skadden Fellow, Swords to Plowshares
- Becca von Behren ~ Staff Attorney, Swords to Plowshares
- Michael Blecker ~ Executive Director, Swords to Plowshares
- Amy N. Fairweather ~ Policy Director, Swords to Plowshares
- Starlyn Lara ~ Women Veteran Program Manager, Community Educator and Outreach Program Manager, Swords to Plowshares
- Nicole M Perez ~ Staff Attorney, Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- John Robert Unruh ~ Staff Attorney and Pro Bono Coordinator, Swords to Plowshares
- Program Attorney: Christina Thompson ~ Program Attorney, Practising Law Institute
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Practising Law Institute
More Information And Registration
|Free CLE Right In|
Your Web Browser!
4freeCLE is the free Newsletter of free Continuing Legal Education.
Every week, 4freeCLE brings you 20 or more opportunities to learn about the legal profession while earning Continuing Legal Education credits.
4freeCLE is and always will be free. Subscribe Now!