I have not yet found legal resources in the State of Ohio that especially support our warrior community (servicemembers, veterans and their families);
however, like everyone else you may start your search at Ohio Legal Services' very nice "Find information on your legal problem" page. It really seems well thought out!
Active duty service members may wish to go first to Armed Forces Legal Assistance's nice online database to "locate active duty legal activities offering general legal services within the continental United States". A query for the state of Ohio is here
Another step is to try a Lawyer Referral Service, hosted by one of the following:
- Community Legal Aid Services, Inc. (Serving Columbiana, Mahoning, Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit, Trumbull and Wayne Counties)
- The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland (serving Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Geuaga, Lake and Lorain Counties)
- Toledo Bar Pro Bono Programs
- Southeastern Ohio Legal Services (SEOLS)
- Findlaw's city-by-city list of lawyers interested in representing active-duty military personnel, military reservists, and veterans here.
For LawyersIf there is a Section or Committee of the Ohio State Bar concerned with serving our warrior community, it appears to be hidden behind OSBAR.ORG's password protection. Let me know if it exists; if it does not, you can gain fame and do something very useful by taking the lead in setting one up.
You can sign up to do pro bono service (not necessarily directed at our warrior community) at
- Ohio Legal Services Pro Bono Signup Page
- Columbus Bar Association Pro bono
- Toledo Bar
- Warren County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project