- GI Bill 2008
- Military Voting Protection Act of 2008
- A surge of volunteer efforts in support of servicemembers, veterans and their families, e.g. National Veterans Legal Services Program (NVLSP), American Bar Association's Military Pro Bono Project and our own Attorneys Assisting Citizen-Soldiers & Families
- Feisty new organizations, such as VA Watchdog and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
- Continued solid work by more, shall we say, "vintage" organizations, such as (listed in no particular order) National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, Swords to Plowshares, Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
- Too many more to list them all; if I've left you off, I apologize but feel free to add your name (and a link if possible!) in a comment below.
Q. What do these have in common?A. Americans, mostly volunteers, working to get the job done. It's that "community" thing we hear so much about; it's real and it works!
Unfortunately, there's more to do; pick what-ever group fits you best, or crank up one of your own. You will not regret it; to the contrary, as sure as there is a day and a night, your participation will give you something more to be thankful for on Thanksgiving 2009.