Description: Well over one-half of the American Veteran population is elderly or disabled and entitled to a wide-range of government benefits— from income to health care to in-home services. These benefits can help a veteran and their family stave off poverty, prolong independence, and receive the supportive services they need to thrive. Yet, while many elder law, disability rights, and benefits practitioners are versed in Social Security and Medicaid, few attorneys are aware of how these benefits intersect with benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
As part of PLI’s Advocating for Veterans series, this free half-day session will empower practitioners with the tools they need to maximize their Veteran clients’ income and well-being, and to better meet their health care and long-term needs. More specifically, expert veterans and government benefits attorneys will provide practitioners with an in-depth understanding of the Department of Veterans Affairs’ lesser known Non-Service-Connected Pension benefit and break down the interplay between VA Benefits, Social Security benefits, Medicaid, and In-Home Supportive Services.
What You Will Learn
- How VA Benefits and Social Security benefits intersect, including how they offset one another, the main differences between VA Non-Service-Connected Pension and SSI, and the impact of VA Non-Service-Connected Pension on SSI
- How to prolong a Veteran’s independence by using VA Non-Service-Connected Pension with or without In-Home Supportive Services to pay for in-home care and assisted living
- How to expand a Veteran’s long-term care options using VA Benefits, Medicaid, and In Home Supportive Services
Who Should Attend
- Attorneys and advocates that work with or are interested in serving American Veterans will benefit from this program.
- Elder law, disability rights advocates, and government benefits advocates may find the session particularly applicable to their practice areas.
- IMPORTANT! If you are a VA-accredited attorney and have already completed the VA’s initial CLE requirement, this program may satisfy the VA’s continuing CLE requirement to maintain accreditation.
December 18, 2017
9:00 AM PacificWebcast - Register Now! Credit: Cost: Free By: Practising Law Institute More Information And Registration